Joining Natalie and Darla today is Justin Easthall, the web design wizard behind Easthall Designs and Darla’s website, along with the Wingnut Social site. Justin has been designing websites for more than 20 years and has designed hundreds of websites during that time, picking up skills in online marketing and more than a few awards to boot. Justin discusses how to optimize images for the web, how important mobile versions of your site are, and why he wants the biggest conkers around (we didn’t ask any follow-up questions to that).
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [2:45] Who is Justin and what’s up with his amazing accent?
- [3:57] What is SEO and why is it so important?
- [5:54] What’s the first thing you do to improve your SEO?
- [9:40] Keyword tips and tricks
- [13:44] How to optimize your images so your site isn’t a turtle
- [17:05] The most important thing you can do regarding offsite SEO
- [22:45] How important is it for your website to be mobile-friendly?
- [26:02] Whut Up Wingnut?
- [28:21] Darla and Natalie’s takeaways
Connect with Justin Easthall
Resources & People Mentioned
The two sides of SEO
Right off the bat, Justin has some great insight into what SEO actually is, dividing it into two sections of sides: onsite SEO and offsite SEO. Onsite SEO is all of the stuff we typically think of when talking about SEO, it’s all of your content, blog posts, images, making sure your site loads quickly, etc. It’s all the technical SEO you do on your site.
Offsite SEO is all of the work you do to drive to your site, such as social media, Google AdWords, etc. Justin also goes into techniques for improving your offsite SEO, which is some tricky stuff.
Some keyword tips for your Interior Design SEO
Justin drops all kinds of knowledge and value bombs all over this episode, but one key insight (no pun intended) concerns making your keywords truly valuable for you and your audience. For instance, if you use location-specific keywords, whether someone actually searches for that location or not, Google will prioritize your content as being local to that user.
Justin also walks through some other keyword tips and answers the question everyone wants to know the answer to: How often do I have to blog optimized for search engines?
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website